Re: fdisk and cylinders and dos

On 16/06/10 17:10, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> Yes, progress is good, and both of you know your users better than
> I do, but I would be concerned about mucking up those working scripts
> out there in the wild, so I would leave 'fdisk' working as is
> and make modern-fdisk (mfdisk) have the new behavior.
> Same binary file (for software development/maintenance), but fdisk is
> a symlink to mfdisk.
>
> One rebuttal could easily be:  but we want users to start using the
> new behavior even when they use 'fdisk', and I can understand that
> viewpoint also...  oh well.

There's that and the pollution of the command space.
It's a trade off what to do here. For lower level tools
in general you should try and not change behavior,
leaving that to higher level tools that more users interact with.

>> In GParted I am changing the default alignment behaviour to align to
>> MiB, with an option to use cylinder alignment if a person so choses.

I completely agree with that change in default as GParted is a
higher level tool.

As for fdisk, it's debatable.
Personally I've scripted fdisk like echo "..." | fdisk
but I'm thinking my scripts might be OK with the change.
Also sfdisk is often used for scripting stuff instead.

So I'd vote for making the change in default for fdisk.
It's not like it will introduce a subtle bug.
If it does bite then the issue should be obvious and
easy to work around.

cheers,
Pádraig.