Re: fdisk and cylinders and dos

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:00:14 -0600 Curtis Gedak wrote:

> Karel Zak wrote:
> >  The current fdisk default is to use cylinders and DOS-compatible mode
> >  (align to the cylinders and use geom.sectors as offset for the first
> >  partition). Now is year 2010 and this behaviour sucks...
> >
> >  <snip>
> >
> >  I have changed the default fdisk behavior, fdisk is going to use sectors
> >  and non-DOS mode by default (1MiB grain and offset). This change will be
> >  available in v2.18-rc2.
> >
> >  <snip>
> >
> >  Comments?
> >

> I agree that it is time to move forward and change the default alignment
> behaviour.  Since you have provided the ability to enable cylinder
> alignment (DOS-compatible mode), people requiring this old alignment
> scheme can still access this mode.

Yes, progress is good, and both of you know your users better than
I do, but I would be concerned about mucking up those working scripts
out there in the wild, so I would leave 'fdisk' working as is
and make modern-fdisk (mfdisk) have the new behavior.
Same binary file (for software development/maintenance), but fdisk is
a symlink to mfdisk.

One rebuttal could easily be:  but we want users to start using the
new behavior even when they use 'fdisk', and I can understand that
viewpoint also...  oh well.

> In GParted I am changing the default alignment behaviour to align to
> MiB, with an option to use cylinder alignment if a person so choses.
> This change in default behaviour will be available in the upcoming
> GParted 0.6.0 release planned for this Friday.
>
> There will likely be some casualties from changing the default alignment
> behaviour, but I believe that benefits of switching to use MiB alignment
> for today's devices will outweigh the disadvantages of continuing to use
> cylinder alignment as the default.

---
~Randy