Re: fdisk and cylinders and dos

Karel Zak wrote:
 The current fdisk default is to use cylinders and DOS-compatible mode
 (align to the cylinders and use geom.sectors as offset for the first
 partition). Now is year 2010 and this behaviour sucks...

 <snip>

 I have changed the default fdisk behavior, fdisk is going to use sectors
 and non-DOS mode by default (1MiB grain and offset). This change will be
 available in v2.18-rc2.

 <snip>

 Comments?

I agree that it is time to move forward and change the default alignment behaviour. Since you have provided the ability to enable cylinder alignment (DOS-compatible mode), people requiring this old alignment scheme can still access this mode.

In GParted I am changing the default alignment behaviour to align to MiB, with an option to use cylinder alignment if a person so choses. This change in default behaviour will be available in the upcoming GParted 0.6.0 release planned for this Friday.

There will likely be some casualties from changing the default alignment behaviour, but I believe that benefits of switching to use MiB alignment for today's devices will outweigh the disadvantages of continuing to use cylinder alignment as the default.

Regards,
Curtis Gedak