Re: Slow USB storage device?

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 22:43, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I understand your point of view, and I have no problem to add to
>  blkid all necessary functionality for compatibility with your
>  point of view. But I have doubts that udev will use it.
>
>  All this was discussed 2 (?) years ago. The current blkid behavior
>  is based on the results from the discussion.
>
>  I'll
>    - add an option to allow run blkid in less paranoid mode (return
>      the first detected superblock)

We can definitely not use it. Filesystem-probing and auto-mounting is
not meant to return wild guesses, and risk to destroy data by careless
and dumb optimizations.

I recommend not even adding such dangerous options to blkid. People
who don't know the background may think it's cool, use it, and the
vfat driver, or swap code may destroy their filesystems, just by
plugging the devices in. Really, I'm not talking bullshit here, we've
been there with early HAL and boot scripts, and we killed filesystems.
The current logic exists for a good reason.

Thanks,
Kay