Re: Slow USB storage device?

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 16:48, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm. So it might be the odd timing pattern after all, and maybe udev ends
> up announcing the device too early or something. And it ends up being
> noticeable only when the disk is _so_ slow that even reading some minor
> data off it takes half a second.

Hmm, the DeviceKit stuff looks fine, not sure why the interface is not
picking the stuff up to show an icon.

> Is there some way to get a trace of what these tools do to figure out what
> goes wrong?

We could check the udev timing with:
  $ udevadm monitor --property

When the device is connected, it will show us the timing of the kernel
events, and the time udev takes to handle the event. There are always
two sections printed for every event. Would be good to know the exact
timing between sdc1 from the kernel and udev, it should match your
investigation of taking half a minute. We will also see the passed
paramters udev has merged into the evnt, to pass to the desktop volume
handling.

The DeviceKit part can be monitored with:
  $ devkit-disks --monitor-detail
It would also be nice to know if that happens immediately after the
udev event was sent.

>> How large is the volume? If it's very small, maybe we could add logic
>> to skip the probing for any RAID stuff, which can not really exist on
>> such small volumes.
>
> It's tiny. It's half a megabyte - so the "read 120kB to figure out what
> format it is" (ok, so blkid only reads ~70kB, but the kernel rounds it up)
> is literally a quarter of the whole disk!

Yeah, we should start adding guards to blkid's filesystem probe
functions, for all the filesystems which can not be on such a disk,
because they would not fit in 0.5 MB anyway.

And we probably should skip probing the disk device on such a small
devices, when we see partitions already created by the kernel.

Thanks,
Kay