Re: swapon using mkswap [changed subject]

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 02:09:01PM +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > > I remember being caught by that kind of issue in the past (though not
> > > in such dangerous ways), and understand the desire for such zapping.
> > > But it's not something I have sufficient experience to advise on:
> > > I've always assumed there are strong legacy reasons why we cannot
> > > safely zap that area (and was surprised to see TuxOnIce doing so),
> > > and I hope someone with good legacy experience in Red Hat or SuSE
> > > can advise you.  Do we have an example of a filesystem which zaps
> > > that area in its mkfs?
> >
> >  for example mke2fs on all non-sparc archs.
>
> Excellent, that's a good precedent (though a pity if sparc were to end
> up as an exception).  But I'm still the wrong person to advise on this.
> Ted Ts'o and Peter Anvin are who I'd first ask, but you may know better.

 I have talked about it with Ted few weeks a ago. I have asked you,
 because it seems that you care about Linux swap area and all
 feedbacks are welcomed ;-) Anyway, I'm going to send the patch that
 zap the bootbits also to linux-fsdevel. We will see...

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>