Re: swapon using mkswap [changed subject]

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:53:42PM +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> Please, can we make it subject to a new option, -f perhaps?

 Yes, we can. That sounds better than exec mkswap by default.

> Then SuSE can add that option in their ppc64 scripts, and
> I can edit it out again, and nobody gets caught out by
> their swapon going off doing its own unexpected mkswap.
>
> By the way, that #define MAX_PAGESIZE (64 * 1024): there's people
> now using pagesize 256kB on ppc64, don't know if you want to cater
> for them too (maybe they're not using swap, or not switching).

 hmm.. is it supported by upstream kernel?

> I checked the various sources earlier today, though I didn't find
> an S2SUSPEND.  They all modify some other part of the swap header,
> but not such that you need worry about it.  S1SUSPEND and ULSUSPEND
> both modify the end of the badpage list, just before the signature:
> I really ought to lower MAX_SWAP_BADPAGES to reflect that.  TuxOnIce
> modifies the start of the swap header (in the bootbits area).  But
> neither area would need restoring when just rewriting the signature:
> a simple write of the signature would be much better than mkswap.

 sounds good.

 BTW, there are many requests to zap bootbits area by mkswap (by
 default when there is not a disklabel) to remove a superblock of the
 original filesystem. Now we have very often valid swap area on a
 valid filesystem... (Sometimes it's pretty dangerous, for example
 some (idiotic) LiveCDs automatically call swapon when found a valid
 swap header on disk.)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>