Re: Changing the default CHS used by Linux partition editors

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
This is certainly a problem.  This one is bad for performance in general
and is based on completely outdated DOS conventions.  It should have
been fixed ages ago by aligning to power-of-two boundaries, of at least
64K I would say.  I believe Vista uses 1 MB boundaries.

Speaking of alignment, when people were sending me 1K-sector demonstration drives, they were making a big deal about even versus odd alignment. Using the standard 512b sector interface on a 1K-sector disk causes RMW as you expect -- but depending on the disk, the 1K may begin on an odd sector rather than an even sector, because historically partitions were often laid out on odd-numbered boundaries and/or offset by one due to the boot sector.

I can't say whether 1K drives are out there in production, or going to make it into production, but Seagate was making a stink and sending out samples, even asking me to present at IDEMA.

However it is my -hope- that the industry goes straight to 4K sector drives, and drops this even/odd nonsense. 4K-aligned should start at zero, and anything else is uncivilized.

	Jeff