Re: Changing the default CHS used by Linux partition editors

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I attended the IDEMA (International Disk Drive Equipment and Materials
> Association) conference today to give a talk about Linux, and during one
> of the breaks I got buttonholed by someone who asked me if I could help
> make sure Linux would be able to deal with the upcoming HDD sector size
> move from 512 to 4096.  Just coincidentally, I ran across the following
> article from Slashdot, "Which Operating System Is Best For solid-state
> disks":
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Storage&articleId=9123140&taxonomyId=19&pageNumber=1
>
> Quoting from that article, Justin Sykes from Micron Technologies stated:
>
> 	"NAND [flash memory] fundamentally has native 4K block
> 	sizes. Anything that's not aligned to a 4K block creates extra
> 	challenges," Sykes said. "There ends up being background
> 	operations to garbage-collect that empty space [in larger file
> 	blocks] that isn't fully utilized. And, so that activity is
> 	chewing up your bandwidth in the background, and it adds extra
> 	wear to the NAND [flash memory]."

This, of course, is complete bunk -- most NAND flash has much larger
erase blocks than 4K.

> I fully expect that perhaps someone from San Disk or Intel will pop up
> and say that "this is just Micron's SSD's suck; *our* SSD's won't have
> this problem".  Perhaps; but HDD's won't be going away any time soon[1],
> and they will be moving to a 4k block size in the next few years.
>
> So what's the problem?   The main problem seems to be that by default,
> we are using partition tables that cause the partitions to be not
> aligned on 4k boudaries, because of the default hdd geometry used by our
> partition tools and returned by the HDIO_GETGEO ioctl:

This is certainly a problem.  This one is bad for performance in general
and is based on completely outdated DOS conventions.  It should have
been fixed ages ago by aligning to power-of-two boundaries, of at least
64K I would say.  I believe Vista uses 1 MB boundaries.

A much bigger potential problem can occur if there are assumptions about
the atomicity of writes, plus the inevitable BIOS/boot loader problems.

EFI could have done something smart by making the hardware sector size
less visible, but did the opposite.

	-hpa