Re: hwclock fork/merge

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Bryan Henderson
<bryanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't have a patch history; hwclock has not been a big enough project
> to warrant such code control process.

<blink>   Really?

> So maybe there's nothing mergeable after all.  Or I'm just not the
> right guy to do it.  I'm pretty aggressive about changing code, and I
> can tell that's not the util-linux-ng temperament.

When it comes to maintaining a piece of code that you expect millions
of people to use - and they will simply assume that it works - a
certain amount of upstream testing is vital.  By upstream, of course I
mean us, the people interested in working on util-linux-ng.

> Do you think there's any way to ship a stable and advanced version,
> where the advanced version might some day have enough exposure that
> you'd consider it stable?

Plenty of projects do this.  I've found that there are vast
differences though in the number of people who use the stable vs.
non-stable releases (certainly more than four orders of magnitude in
the case of GNU findutils, but then it uses a separate FTP site for
the unstable version).  For me, this has meant that not enough people
test the development releases, leading to bugs being found in the
stable releases instead.

> Even some of the things you're considering
> adding are kind of fringy, and it would be better to have a place to
> put those where they wouldn't bother people who won't use them.

I certainly find that only a tiny fraction of people seek out the
development version.  I typically maintain a stable release and a
development release.  So far the development releases typically go
stable after 9-12 months.  I still get significant numbers of bugs in
the stable .0 release, just because of the greatly increased number of
users.   So, while I'd guess it's not impossible to get people to test
a large set of changes all at once in an unstable release, and then
hope to get it debugged in time for a new stable release, I've found
it hard to do things that way.

James.