Re: hwclock fork/merge

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 04:43:15PM +0000, Bryan Henderson wrote:
> So util-linux obviously became the main source of 'hwclock'.  However,
> I was still the maintainer.  Users usually sent their requests and
> suggestions directly to me because the documentation said I was the
> maintainer, but sometimes they sent them to the util-linux mailing
> list and Nicolai forwarded them to me.  I regularly sent new releases
> to Nicolai, who packaged them into the next release.

 This is still possible, especially with distributed SCMs. I have no
 problem to pull patches from you. Really.

> The original question was what the technical reason is for
> distributing a hypothetical single hwclock independently.  I don't
> know what a "technical reason" is here, but I just happen to believe
> that smaller engineering projects are more efficient and flexible than
> bigger ones.  For the same reason I divide a program into modules, I
> like to divide a development project into self-sufficient pieces.

 Frankly, I don't like one-man projects, without mailing-list, SCM,
 without public and transparent development process.

 You can officially maintain hwclock(8) in util-linux-ng. I don't see
 a problem to split util-linux-ng to logical subsystems/submodules.
 This development model works very successfully for example for
 Linux kernel.

 But I'd like to keep hwclock(8) in util-linux-ng, at kernel.org,
 track all development by GIT, discuss relevant topics at
 util-linux-ng mailing list and work closely with Linux kernel
 developers and downstream maintainers. This is what I'm doing in last
 two years and I don't want to work against this development model.

 If you agree with this development model we can start to talk
 about the merge. IMHO this is a serious offer how move things forward
 and how *collaborate* and produce better utils for Linux.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>