SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Coconino National Forest Information

FIRE INFORMATION

U.S. Dept. of Agriculture

U.S. Forest Service

Coconino National Forest

www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino

www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF

www.flickr.com/photos/coconinonationalforest

For Immediate Release

July 2, 2013

Crews respond to lightning-caused Steed Fire on Kendrick Mountain

The Steed Fire is approximately 2 acres and burning at low intensity on the northern side of Kendrick Mountain northwest of Flagstaff.  It’s located in the fire scar from the 2000 Pumpkin Fire, moving slowly along the ground on a steep slope laden with snags and down logs. Smoke can be seen from Kendrick Park along Highway 180.

With very little vegetation remaining in the area, the fire will continue to burn with a low rate of spread and at a relatively low intensity; however, the fire footprint is could grow over the next several days. The steep slope, snags and logs create too much of a safety hazard for firefighters to take a direct approach, so firefighters are engaging further back from safer locations.

“Risk management drives our efforts,” says Rick Miller, District Fire Management Officer for the Flagstaff District. “We’re actively suppressing this fire, but we’re doing so on our terms.  The most effective tactic for this situation is to back away and let it come to us. We’ll see some gain in size, but the intensity and severity of the fire will be minimal. Looking at the fire behavior and our weather forecast, the fire might not even make it that far.”

Location: Approximately 20 miles northwest of Flagstaff, 5 miles west of Hwy 180 in the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness

Behavior: Creeping, smoldering

Cause: lightning

Start Date: Reported Monday July 1, caused by lightning strike Saturday June 29

Size: approximately 2 acres

Landscape: Burn scar. Grass and shrubs on steep slope, dead/down timber, dead/standing trees (snags)

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]