SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Skinner Complex Update

TUSAYAN, Ariz. – Two fires burning in the Skinner Complex have reached a size of 1,409 acres according to officials managing the fires. The lightning-caused Armstrong and Skinner fires are being managed for resource objectives on the Tusayan Ranger District.

The Armstrong Fire is 1,403 acres; about 18 miles southeast of Tusayan and north of Red Horse Wash. Today, crews will be working with the fire near the Antelope and Armstrong wildlife tanks, within the 9,300-acre management area.

The Skinner Fire is about 6 acres, eight miles southeast of Tusayan near Skinner Ridge. The 8,000-acre area defined for the incident is beginning to dry out after several days of rain and increased activity is expected. Personnel will be working around fire sensitive sites today preparing the area for potential fire spread.

 Aaron Hulburd, Incident Commander for the Skinner Complex said, “We are pleased with the results we are seeing from these fires and will continue to manage them as long as they meet the objectives we have defined for the Complex. There may be smoke impacts from time to time along forest roads near the fires. With increased visitation expected over the busy Labor Day weekend, we ask the public to please slow down, use caution, and watch for crews and equipment.”

The general forecast calls for good to excellent ventilation today. Prevailing southwest winds have been transporting smoke to the northeast.  Smoke from the Skinner Complex will be visible from areas across the district and along portions of Highway 64 and Highway 180. Smoke may settle in Coconino Wash and Red Horse Wash overnight.

For additional information, please contact Punky Moore, Fire Information Officer, (928-635-5653) or visit the Inciweb at http://www.inciweb.org

 -USFS-

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer