SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Kaibab National Forest Fire Update

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – Hot and dry conditions returned to northern Arizona Friday and as a result, fire activity increased on two of three fires on the Kaibab National Forest. The lightning-caused wildfires, Parallel, Beale, and Woodbridge are being managed to improve forested conditions on the Tusayan and Williams Ranger Districts.

The Parallel Fire has grown to approximately 2,200 acres nine miles southeast of Tusayan. Three engines are assigned to the fire. It is being managed within a 4,300-acre area. If you are traveling north on State Highway 64 toward Grand Canyon National Park, the Parallel Fire can be seen east of the highway near Red Butte.

Josh Miller, Parallel Fire Incident Commander says, “Operations went very well Friday. I appreciate the important role our Fire Lookouts serve in helping us manage our incidents. Their timely updates about smoke production and approaching weather systems help us adjust operations as necessary to continue to meet the objectives we have established for the fires.” On the Tusayan District, Fire Lookouts are staffed at Red Butte and Grandview.

The Beale Fire has grown to 1,855 acres, 16 miles northeast of Williams near Kendrick Mountain. Today, it continued to creep south and east of the Beale Knolls. One engine is assigned to monitor the fire’s progression within an 8,000-acre management area. On the Williams District, the Kendrick Lookout is staffed to help monitor fire activity along with Bill Williams Mountain and Volunteer Mountain Lookouts.

The Woodbridge Fire, 18 miles east of Tusayan remained at 900 acres, with no new growth reported Friday. Significant rain fell on the Woodbridge Fire over the past week.

As the fires continue their progression across the landscape, activity will increase or decrease depending on the weather, terrain, and fuels where the fires are located. For additional information, please call Punky Moore, Fire Information Officer, 928-635-5653.

                                                    -USFS-

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer
Kaibab National Forest