SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Please share widely.  Thanks!

Jackie

Jacqueline C. Banks
Public Affairs Officer
Kaibab National Forest
928-635-8314
cell 928-606-7490
jcbanks@xxxxxxxxx

Forest Service Releases Proposal Related To
Four Forest Restoration Initiative

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – The Forest Service today released a proposal to restore ponderosa pine ecosystems across two national forests in northern Arizona.  The proposal, known as the Proposed Action for the Four Forest Restoration Initiative – Coconino and Kaibab National Forests, is available online at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/kaibab/4fri under “Documents.”

The release of the proposed action for the Four Forest Restoration Initiative (4FRI) begins a 45-day scoping period that will run through March 14.  During this period, members of the public are encouraged to review the document and provide comments.  Information on how to comment is also available at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/kaibab/4fri.

Four public workshops will be held throughout the month of February to provide an opportunity to review and discuss various aspects of the proposed action.  The meeting dates and the specific topics to be covered at each meeting are listed below.

Workshop #1
•        Feb. 2, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Coconino National Forest Supervisor’s Office, 1824 S. Thompson St., Flagstaff.
•        From 1 to 1:30 p.m., general information will be provided on 4FRI, the proposed action and how to submit comments.
•        From 1:30 to 5 p.m., an in-depth review and discussion will be held related to firescapes 1 and 2.  A firescape is a contiguous geographic area up to 200,000 acres in size where a need for change has been identified.  Firescapes 1 and 2 include portions of the Flagstaff, Mogollon and Red Rock ranger districts (Coconino National Forest).  Firescape 1 is generally located south of I-40 and east of I-17.  Firescape 2 is generally located west of I-17 and south of the Mogollon Rim.  Work on Firescape 3, which includes portions of the Williams district (Kaibab National Forest), Flagstaff and Red Rock districts (Coconino National Forest) will begin if time allows.
Workshop #2
•        Feb. 9, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Kaibab National Forest Williams Ranger District Office, 742 S. Clover Rd., Williams.
•        From 1 to 1:30 p.m., general information will be provided on 4FRI, the proposed action and how to submit comments.
•        From 1:30 to 5 p.m., an in-depth review and discussion will be held related to firescapes 3 and 4.  Firescape 3, which includes portions of the Williams district (Kaibab National Forest), Flagstaff and Red Rock districts (Coconino National Forest), is generally located south of I-40 and west of I-17.  Firescape 4 includes portions of the Flagstaff district (Coconino National Forest) and the Williams district (Kaibab National Forest).  It is generally located north of I-40 and west of Highway 180.
Workshop #3
•        Feb. 16, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Coconino National Forest Supervisor’s Office, 1824 S. Thompson St., Flagstaff.
•        From 1 to 1:30 p.m., general information will be provided on 4FRI, the proposed action and how to submit comments.
•        From 1:30 to 5 p.m., an in-depth review and discussion will be held related to firescapes 5 and 6.  Firescape 5 encompasses portions of the Flagstaff district (Coconino National Forest) and is generally located east of Highway 180 and north of I-40.  Firescape 6 encompasses the Tusayan Ranger District (Kaibab National Forest).
Workshop #4
•        Feb. 24, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Coconino National Forest Supervisor’s Office, 1824 S. Thompson St., Flagstaff.
•        From 1 to 1:30 p.m., general information will be provided on 4FRI, the proposed action and how to submit comments.
•        From 1:30 to 5 p.m., there will be a review of all firescapes and comments received.

“We strongly encourage members of the public to come to one of our workshops to learn about 4FRI and the exciting work that is happening to restore northern Arizona’s forests,” said Henry Provencio, 4FRI team leader for the Forest Service.  “If you are new to 4FRI and want to learn what it is all about, we recommend attending the first portion of any of the workshops we have scheduled in February.  Or, you can contact us directly through the 4FRI website.”

4FRI is a collaborative effort to restore forest ecosystems on portions of four national forests along the Mogollon Rim in northern Arizona.  The vision of 4FRI is restored forest ecosystems that support natural fire regimes, functioning populations of native plants and animals, and forests that pose little threat of destructive wildfire to thriving forest communities, as well as support sustainable forest industries that strengthen local economies while conserving natural resources and aesthetic values.

For additional information on the proposed action or the February workshops, please visit www.fs.usda.gov/goto/kaibab/4fri or contact Paula Cote at (928) 226-4686.

[Index of Archives]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs Forum]     [Yosemite Camping]     [Yosemite Upper Pines Campground]     [Yosemite Conditions]     [Big List of Linux Books]