SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Hobble Fire Update

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – Smoke is more noticeable this week on the 1,674-acre Hobble Fire than it has been for days. Activity is steadily increasing under a persistent dry, warm weather pattern. The lightning-caused fire, 18 miles northeast of Williams, is being managed for resource objectives near the Hobble Mountains on the Kaibab National Forest.

The Red Hill Lookout, south of the fire, is assisting crews on the ground by relaying important information about smoke production and dispersal. Generally, the fire is smoldering in the morning with a gradual increase in activity as the temperatures rise throughout the day. By late afternoon, there is frequent torching in the pinyon-juniper trees. This activity is producing smoke that is visible from many locations in and around Williams. There may be smoke impacts in Valle and Red Lake overnight.

The Hobble Fire started August 30. The Incident Commander of the fire says it may continue for several more weeks.  “We will continue to allow the fire to expand within our established boundary as long as we keep meeting the resource objectives we have outlined for the incident,” Jeff  Sanocki said. “Some of the objectives we are achieving are reducing hazardous fuels, improving wildlife habitat, protecting range improvements and returning fire to a fire-adapted ecosystem.”

 Resources assigned to the incident include engines from the Tonto and Coconino National Forests, the Saguaro Wildland Fire Module and operational personnel.

Game Management Unit 7W is within the Hobble Fire Management Area.  All roads are open and accessible.  Please use caution traveling or camping in this area.

For additional information, please visit the Inciweb at http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2118/ or call Punky Moore, Fire Information Officer, 928-635-5653.

-USFS-

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer