SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Kaibab National Forest Plans
Prescribed Burn South of Williams

        WILLIAMS, Ariz. – Kaibab National Forest fire crews plan to implement a prescribed burn on the south side of Williams Tuesday, September 28. The 141-acre City Sheridan Prescribed fire is at the end of Sheridan Street and west of Buckskinner Park. Smoke will be readily visible in Williams and along Interstate 40.
        Kaibab National Forest fire crews will be working with cooperating fire departments on the project. The unit will be hand ignited using drip torches. Ignitions will begin early in the morning which will allow for maximum smoke dispersal during the operation.  Smoke will be on roads and in surrounding areas. Smoke may be visible for several days after the burn. There will be increased traffic in and around the project. Please use caution in this area.
The goals of our prescribed burn program are reducing hazardous fuel accumulation, decreasing the risk of high intensity wildfire, and protecting communities. While burning is a critical component of our fuels management program, we want to assure you that we will work to minimize impacts to adjacent property owners.  We will be evaluating many factors before the burn is implemented to ensure that we can accomplish the project safely and effectively.  The determining factors in our decisions to burn are current and predicted weather, fuel moisture, the availability of personnel and equipment, and approval from Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.
There will be a Fire Information Station on the east side of the Mountain View Cemetery in Williams along Route 66 during the burn. Please stop by for more information about prescribed fire or call Punky Moore, Fire Information Officer, at 928-635-5653.

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer
Kaibab National Forest
Williams/Tusayan Ranger District