SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

The Kaibab National Forest has established this method of notifying you of planned and current fire activity on the forest.

Kaibab National Forest Prepares To Burn Piles on Frenchy Project

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – Next week, managers are planning to ignite slash piles on several units within the Frenchy Project on the Kaibab National Forest.  Burning on approximately 200 acres, south of I-40 and eight miles east of Williams, may be implemented throughout the week if conditions allow.          Pending Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) approval and favorable weather weather conditions, burning may occur on units east of Sherwood Forest Estates, east of Horse Mountain, near Mineral Lake and by Whitehorse Lake.
The forecast is calling for a chance of precipitation beginning Sunday. Precipitation is needed in order to initiate the pile burning.
We understand that smoke created while we accomplish our prescribed burning projects may impact our community.  We strive to keep community members, particularly those with sensitivities to smoke, informed of our plans and activities.
        The burns will be ignited by hand and ignition should be completed by early afternoon to allow for good smoke dispersal. Forecasted southwesterly winds should transport smoke away from Williams during the day with light smoke expected in the local area overnight.
For more information, please contact Punky Moore (928-635-5653).
 -USFS-

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer
Kaibab National Forest