SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

The Kaibab National Forest has established this method of notifying you of planned and current fire activity on the forest.

Pile Burning Planned for Williams Ranger District

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – As a continuation of our prescribed fire program, fire managers are requesting approval to burn slash piles over the next two weeks on the Williams Ranger District.  Pending Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) approval and appropriate weather conditions, Kaibab National Forest personnel are planning to ignite piles in two locations east of Williams.
        On Tuesday, Dec. 1, fire managers are planning to ignite 30 acres of slash piles near Horse Hill, about 11 miles east of Williams and south of I-40. With precipitation expected in the long-term forecast, personnel are also preparing to burn several piles south of I-40, just east of Sherwood Forest Estates next week.
Smoke is expected to drift south with forecasted light winds.  Officials anticipate light smoke impacts to the surrounding areas including Pineaire Estates and Garland Prairie.
Our burning is dependent on Arizona Department of Environmental Quality approval and weather conditions that minimize smoke impacts as much as possible.
We understand that smoke created while we accomplish our prescribed burning projects impacts people in our community.  We appreciate your tolerance to some smoke now in order to reduce the future occurrence of severe wildfires.
Fire crews will patrol the burns to monitor fire spread.  For more information on Kaibab National Forest burning, please contact Punky Moore (928-635-5653).
 -USFS-

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer
Kaibab National Forest