New USDA TV Feature August 19, 2010-Virtual Food Safety Expert

Contact:Bob Ellison
USDA Office of Communications
(202) 720-4623

ASK KAREN FOR FOOD SAFETY INFO FROM USDA WEBSITE

The US Dept of Agriculture offers food safety information 24/7 on the web.

 YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqh3JZeYf08
A new feature is available on the USDA FTP site
Filename: ask karen
Download instructions:
The host:  ftp://ocbmtcmedia.download.akamai.com.
User name: usdanews
Password:  Newscontent1

The new file is in QuickTime Movie(H.264 fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4(fullscreen, crop and letterbox), MPEG 4 (low res) and HDV format.

Please email bob.ellison@xxxxxxxx if you have problems or suggestions.
Also, use this free ftp client if you have problems.
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type+client

FEATURE – ASK KAREN FOR FOOD SAFETY INFO FROM USDA WEBSITE

INTRO: The US Dept of Agriculture offers food safety information 24/7 on the web. USDA’s Patrick O’Leary has more. (1:33)

WHEN THE ISSUE IS KEEPING YOUR FAMILY OR DINING GUESTS FREE FROM FOODBORNE ILLNESS, WHO CAN YOU TURN TO FOR U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE-APPROVED FOOD SAFETY INFORMATION? IF YOU’RE ON-LINE, GO ASK KAREN, I THINK SHE’LL KNOW.

Kathy Bernard, USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service: Askkaren dot gov is our “virtual” food safety expert. Just type in a question, and you’ll get an immediate, automated response on dozens of issues. We’ve programmed the website to respond to the questions that people are most likely to ask, and to answer with the best ways to keep foodborne illness from ruining their day.For example, you might type, Is it safe to refreeze food? Click on ASK, and there’s your answer: It is safe, but may cause quality concerns. Another one might be, Will E. coli be killed by freezing? And you’ll learn that freezing does not destroy these bacteria. E. coli O157:H7 survives refrigerator and freezer temperatures.

ALONG WITH ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION, ASKKAREN WILL ALSO SHOW YOU RELATED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS. YOU’LL ALSO GET THE CHANCE TO RATE HOW WELL YOUR QUESTION WAS ANSWERED.

Bernard:  We want to be sure the messages are working to reduce foodborne illnesses. We update the information regularly with the most current, science-based information. That can be particularly important, when food safety outbreaks occur.

THE EXPERTS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE BY PHONE AT 1-888-MPHOTLINE, MONDAY THRU FRIDAY FROM 10-4 EASTERN. ASKKAREN DOT GOV IS A 24/7 SERVICE.  IN BELTSVILLE, MARYLAND FOR THE U-S DEPT OF AGRICULTURE, I’M PAT O’LEARY.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite]     [Hot Springs]     [Steve's Art]     [SB Lupus]     [FDA]     [NIH]     [NSF]     [STB]     [FAA]     [NTSB]     [Federal Register]