Re: Barebox stops working if /env/boot/mmc is removed

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 02:11:26PM +0100, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 09:29:14 +0100
> Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The issue seems to have come from a file which was maybe in a
> > > previous default environment and has been modified in the
> > > user-environment and was now remove in the default-env or
> > > overwritten or whatnot.
> > >
> > > It seems that I fixed it by erasing
> > > the /dev/barebox-environment-partition after flashing the new
> > > barebox-version.
> > >
> > > For the moment this is not an issue for my system/application. It's
> > > a bit scary though.
> >
> > What does "Stops working" mean? Doesn't start at all? Doesn't start
> > kernel? Your description is a bit vague.
>
> Stops working means no more output on the serial port after having
> barebox_updated the image and issued 'reset'. Hardware reset did not do
> anything.

Console output starts before the environment is looked at, so this
shouldn't be the root cause. I didn't understand where you erased the
file. Did you erase it in your build, so in the default environment, or
did you erase it during runtime from the saved environment? For the
former it could be that the object positions in the binary moved to some
unlucky place. FOr the latter it could be that the environment partition
overlaps with the barebox partition so that a saveenv accidently
overwrites parts of the barebox image.

Sascha