Re: barebox state is not fixed up into kernel-device-tree

Hi Ulrich,

On Mon, 05 Nov 2018 09:28:53 +0100
Ulrich Ölmann <u.oelmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Patrick Boettcher <patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I'm using a device-state (for bootchooser) which is stored in an
> > eeprom.
> >
> > Works fine from within barebox - read and write.
> >
> > Userspace does not see the state:
> >
> >   Neither /aliases/state nor /state found
> >
> > The displayed device-tree when booting with 'boot -v -v <name>' does
> > not contain the state-entry.
> >
> > However, there is a warning of a failed fixup:
> >
> >   Failed to fixup node in of_state_fixup+0x1/0x1ac: No such device
> >
> > Could it be that the eeprom-alias is missing? I'm still learning
> > device-tree and stuff and I'm not yet entirely sure how everything
> > is related.
> >
> > The partition is created within a
> >
> >   &eeprom {
> >      [..]
> >   }
> >
> > section and eeprom is defined as
> >
> >   eeprom: eeprom@52 {
> >
> >   }
> >
> > (I added the 'eeprom: '- name/alias)
> >
> > Where am I missing the link?
>
> there was a patch recently that fixed a bug in the context of
> partition fixups and as a result repaired the state fixup as well for
> some setups:
>
>   http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2018-October/035091.html
>
> Please check if it solves your problem. If not then please provide
> more insight into your devicetrees (barebox & kernel) and post a
> little bit more context of the state node as well as the eeprom and
> the aliases nodes.

I investigated further (still doing right now). In my kernel device-tree
the eeprom does not have the partition definition. So of_state_fixup()
does not find it (I added some debug prints to analyze):

   of_find_node_by_path_from:
       /soc/aips-bus@02100000/i2c@021a0000/eeprom@52/partitions/state@0
       not found

I wrongly assumed from mails I found in the archive that barebox is
fixing up even the partitions.

Does your patch from above will be helpful in my case?

Do I need to change the kernel-device-tree to insert the partitions
manually? If so, how should it look like if the state-partition in
barebox is defined like this:

  &eeprom {
	status = "okay";
	partitions {