Re: About to unsubcribe

+------ Patrick Vervoorn wrote (Tue, 25-Nov-2008, 09:59 +0100):
| On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Charles Seeger wrote:
|
| > +------ Patrick Vervoorn wrote (Sat, 22-Nov-2008, 18:29 +0100):
| > | I'm still here, even using trn, though it is getting more and more
| > | unstable as time goes by. Using 'valgrind' I also notice trn is quite
| > | sloppy with (de-)allocating it's memory...
| >
| > FWIW, I haven't been seeing these problems (on Solaris 8 SPARC).
|
| Hmmm, interesting. I've been seeing these problems both with my
| 'home-compiled' version of trn, but also with the trn distributed via
| Debian. Al running on Linux-x86. I, unfortunately, do not have access to
| another architecture.

I would expect compiler, library or source bugs before anything to
do with cpu architecture, per se.  Ours is an amazingly old version
(4.test67), built with Sun's compiler (C 4.2 with patches 104667-10 and
104668-05, according to the elf .comment section reported by 'mcs -p'),
on Solaris 2.6 way back in 1998.  test76 was released in 2001.

Perhaps I'm just lucky with the groups that I read and what our
NNTP (INN) server dispenses.  The most annoying problem that I see
is the thread selector sometimes dropping to the end of a group after
reading a thread in the middle.  It seems to happen repeatedly in
a given group during the same reading session, so I suspect is has
something to do with the set of articles, e.g. broken references or
some such.  ISTR that Wayne had some fixes in the later test releases,
but haven't been annoyed enough to hunt it down.

Best,
Chuck