Free news servers?

Now that this list seems live again, I thought I'd ask.

Do people use a free newsfeed?  If so, which one? I haven't had news in many
years, and ironically the info about Usenet feeds being removed from many ISPs
got me curious about it again.

As much as I like Usenet (I think _most_ mailing lists/web discussion forums
would be far better as newgroups), it isn't worth $5/month or more to me.

I'm not interested in binaries groups (except maybe comp.binaries.apple2)..
just a few specific text groups.  (rec.arts.tv, alt.folklore.urban, the tivo
group, a few others).

Just wondering what people's experiences with any of the free news servers
were.