Re: TRN: big need: inner-printf of screen to a file (eg thread-list)

David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>Sometimes I'm in a really large newsgroup,
>eg alt.home.repair, and remember from a few
>days earlier a thread about walking-machines,
>treadmills, jogging-machines; some name *like*
>those were in the subject-line (er, thread-title).
>
>Now, this group, its threads, with only one
>like showing per thread (via "L"-cmd), on my
>60 some-odd lines high screen, takes FIFTY
>TRN SCREEN PAGES to get from top to bottom.
>
>Now, what I'd *like* (eg, *need*) to do, in
>order to see if this thread is still there,
>unexpired, is to GREP the entire list.
>
>(For eg this word, that word, some other word,
>plus some wild-assed guesses)
>
>(No, I don't want to use trn's "/"-search, because
>I've *already* marked a (whole) bunch of items;
>nor do I want some extremely abstruse set of
>existing commands so that I *can* use "/".)

Two commands, don't know how abstruse that is:

:M	mark currently selected items to return
/	make some new selections
	[ ... more selections, deselections, etc. ]
	[ optionally read current set of selections ]
Y	Yank back initial set of selections

>What would be *best* for me would be to simply
>get the entire list, all 50 pages worth, of whatever
>items are currently on screen, same format --
>written out to a *file*.

Hmmh - perhaps you could tell trn you have an infinitely tall screen,
then tell your screen client to log output to a file, tell trn to
display the thread-titles, capturing them to a logfile, turn off
logging, reset the screen height, and grep the logfile.

--
Denis McKeon