Re: Why are we still using trn? (fwd)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Booker Bense wrote:
> >- Trn was around way before tin. It was an extension of the
> >original rn which was one of the very first widely available
> >newsreaders. Or at least it was the only one I ever saw before
> >about 1991 or so.
> >>If I'm right about scoring -- basically I have never needed the scoring
> >>feature.
> >
> >- Trn has had scoring available for nearly ten years now. I suspect I'm
> >the only person using it.
>
> Yeah, I know that.. But it was "swiped" from slrn, right?

-No. It was a bunch of patches from a guy that worked in a
convience store in Albequerque, New Mexico. He distributed
this as strn for a while, ( see the archives of comp.sources ),
and it briefly sparked interest in trn developement. His
patches were the basis of trn4 efforts. I think he eventually
got a real job and nobody has put any serious effort into
hacking trn since.

- I don't know the history of slrn, they might have used the same
patches as a starting place.

> again, a compare/contrast between slrn and trn would be nice, if anybody
> here has used both significantly.
>
> >- Trn and rn have always been the same program, you just got a different
> >behaviour depending on how you set it up.
>
> No they haven't, you said so yourself in the first quoted paragraph above.

-Trn has always been a superset of rn. It started out as a
feature of rn. It's true there was a rn that didn't do threading
at one point.

> >>Also, shouldn't trn 4.0 go "final" some eon?  Can't some half-finished
> >>features be removed or documented that way or somesuch?  We've been using
> >>it for years and years and years..  It'd be nice just to say it's 4.0 final..
> >>

> >- Trn is basically abandonware at this point, I don't think anybody's
> >seriously hacked at it in the last 8 years. If you want all these support
> >things you'll either have to organize them yourself or pick a more supported
> >news reader.
>
> That still doesn't explain why it doesn't go "final" in the state it is now
> or (slightly?) modified..

- Who's going to do those mods? Somebody somewhere has to pick up
the ball. It's been dropped for many years and is likely to stay
that way. I see little point in merely changing the release
version unless you have some committment to maintaining the src.
Trn is as final as it's going to get until somebody decides that
they want to maintain it.

- Booker C. Bense