Re: trn and INN: unrecognized commands

Patrick Vervoorn <vervoorn@home.nl> writes:

> I'm using trn incombination with an INN newsserver, and on the stats
> page of the INN server (the 'Unrecognized commands' page) I found the
> following item:

>    NNRP unrecognized commands (by command):

>                             Command        Count
>                             XTHREAD DBINIT     3

> These 3 counts are, confirmed, generated by trn (i.o.w. myself): does
> anyone know what is happening here, and why trn generates this command,
> and also why INN doesn't recognize this command?

It's an old way of requesting that a threading database be initialized.
It's obsolete now given the near-universal implementation of XOVER.  I
doubt there still exists any server that supports XTHREAD DBINIT and
doesn't support XOVER, so the code that sends that command could probably
just be removed from trn.

> Less regular, and I'm not really sure this is generated by trn, since in
> this log file another client was also generating these messages is the
> following command:

> 'XMODE READER'

> What's the cause of this?

I believe that some servers used that form instead of MODE READER at some
point.  It's also obsolete; everyone who needs it uses MODE READER.