TRN: in reply (vi), line-nums are pale-yellow, *impossible* to read

For the first time ever, for the last week, since
I switched from using the ancient sun "shelltool"
gui-terminal-emulator (is that what it & dtterm &
xterm are called?) to cde ddterm, I am able
to see *COLORS*!

(About which I know nothing, nor x11 either.)

Anyway, when I want to do a followup to a
news-post, trn puts me into vi (well, here
on my shell-acct isp, they tell me that what
they call vi is really nvi), and since my
.exrc specifies shownumbers (if that's what
it's called, I forget, too lazy to look),
I get line-numbers, which I have always found
handy.

Anyway, they show in this horrible pale, very
pale, that is, yellow, totally unreadable
against the bright white background.

Any clue as how to I can change them to, say,
red, or deep blue, or brown, or anything
visible?

(And *without* having to read a book or even
a chapter on X resources, I hope -- maybe
just a cookbook recipe, something I can
just lift off the screen and stick into
some dot-file?)

THANKS!

David

PS: whatever answers come on this, maybe they
should be held aside somewhere for eventual
inclusion into a "more about trn" manual (since
that original one will likely *never* get
updated).   :-(