Re: Spam

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:27:38PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> I hadn't noticed that the spam was coming through the clari.net version
> of the address names.  I've disabled the forwarding of these addresses
> into the sourceforge lists, so hopefully the spam will decrease now.

Hurrah ! (throws white hat in air :))

> As for making the lists only accept postings from subscribed members,
> that would only be possible if I change the lists to not be nested.
> I.e., people currently subscribed to the workers list would have to
> explicitly subscribe to the users list and the announce list.

I am sure that's possible.  If I'm not subscribed to both, it's only
to avoid duplicates.  Wayne, could you please do moderatorial magic for
those who need it, if you change anything ?

>                                                                I have
> also wanted to keep the mailing lists open since I have it listed as the
> contact address in the latest trn (having people mail the list, even if
> they're not subscribed, means that more folks can potentially help with
> an answer).

Yes, I understand that.  If it's too much to ask for you to moderate the
clari.net sublists, I will take on the task for the time being, for the
greater net.good.  Though obviously that won't decrease my spamcount,
at least there will be a point to it :)

>              It's also a hassle for people to post from alternate email
> addresses to the list, and for people who want to use an email alias
> that "bursts" into multiple people on a local machine.

I don't know what Sourceforge use, but this doesn't seem to be a problem
for most list software :)

> So, if the spam persists, we may need to move to a member-posting-only
> list, but I hope to avoid it for now.  Let me know if you disagree.

If we can cut it down, I'd be happy.  I have some ideas for trn but I
don't want to propose anything I wouldn't know how to do, even if my
time generally prevents actually doing it !

TTFN

Nick