Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On Tuesday 02 July 2024 03:24:07 pm Darrell Anderson via tde-users wrote:
> On 7/1/24 12:47 AM, Riley Bell via tde-users wrote:

> Even if possible, does Qt5/6 offer anything that TDE needs? My memory is
> vague but I seem to recall that Qt4 introduced changes that were not
> compatible or wanted with a fork of KDE 3. For example, run a distro
> with KDE 4 and notice the observable differences with theming. This
> trend has continued with developers opting for flat interfaces.

I just got the impression that Qt5 is needed for a Webkit implementation from
the RoadMap page on the Wiki. Some embedded HTML pages (like opening tabs in
akregator or searching through ktorrent) load unbearably slow and I imagine
Webkit can fix that.

> For me, the TDE GTK 2 and 3 engines have been broken for some time. To
> be fair, GTK support is troublesome in KDE too. Through the years there
> have been heroic efforts to get GTK software looking better in KDE, but
> the result is always the same -- sort of looks okay but not really
> native looking.
>
> Qt5 support in TDE is a bit flaky too. Look through this list where I
> asked about running non KDE Qt5 software in TDE. The solution more or
> less is install a package called qt5ct, but even then Qt5 tools do not
> look "quite right" in TDE. Perhaps better than GTK, but still not quite
> right.

qt5ct is a front-end for qt5-gtk2-platformtheme. There are some wonky styling
issues but I think it's tolerable for a unified style. I imagine it would be
better using a native qt5 style plugin. File dialogs in GTK2 apps can look
native with kgtk-qt3-trinity but has issues with GIMP (which is weird because
the code has some hacks specifically for GIMP, probably an older version?)
and Palemoon (my preferred browser). As for GTK3 and flatpaks I look forward
to the xdg-desktop-portal implementation.

> All that said, I can't code in C++. So on most days I accept what is. I
> wish I could code C++ because I would be up to my eyeballs in code
> trying to improve TDE.  If you can code then I am certain you will be
> most welcomed.

I haven't coded in a while and prefer C but I've always been a "learn as I go"
person - starting with small projects and working my way up to larger goals.
I feel motivated to learn something new and in the meantime improve the
software I use and love.

Sincerely,