Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On 6/1/24 06:09, Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
On Fri May 31 2024 12:56:10 gene heskett via tde-users wrote:
There is a bookworm problem that debian can't fix. So I won't saddle you
with that, which is: Any program opening a local path to storage for any
purpose is blocked, with no error messages found anywhere as to why its
blocked. The block is of varying length ranging from a minimum of 30
seconds to maybe a minute.

Hi Gene,

You could try the following:

(1) Close whatever applications you don't need to have open.
(2) Get as close as you can to the step that causes the long delay.
(3) As root run and save the outputs of "ps fax" and "lsof -n".

lsof -n is 219k lines ack wc -l.. I should reboot and not restart my network.

(4) Do the thing that starts the long delay.

Firefox is affected, and common, so I'll use that. But later.

(5) Repeat step 3.
(6) Compare the files from steps 3 and 5.

This might give a clue as to what is doing the delaying.

--Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll do that when the machine is not so busy, likely about 4 hours. Right now its watching a part build, new y transport plates for a tronxy-400, out of PETG, replacing about a pound of steel with lighter weight stuffs. The PETG is for test fitting, the final will be made from PC. I found a way to do PC on an XMax3 which is about 60C short of a hot enough bed for PC.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis