Re: Konqueror

On Wed, 29 May 2024 09:12:38 +0200
"Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anno domini 2024 Wed, 29 May 08:30:20 +0200
>  Thierry de Coulon via tde-users scripsit:
> >
> > I always find this sort of declaration a little exagerated, and funnily no one
> > ever seems to answer: "why?"
>
> Easiest scenario: Some programs use $USER to find their config file location. You run that program as root. Now you have a problem that you don't know about.

I've never had an issue of that sort even once in ~20 years with KDE3 and TDE,
and I invoke enough GUI programs through su sessions that if it were going to
happen I would have expected to see it by now.  Root's configuration always
saves under /root as intended, without polluting my regular user, and the software
has no trouble figuring out which config to use.  And yet other people on this list
do seem to have such issues, which leads me to believe it relates to something
in the setup of Debian-descended distros.  Or it's specific to one or two pieces
of TDE that I don't use.

E. Liddell