Re: Konqueror

On Wednesday 29 May 2024 06:30:05 E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2024 09:12:38 +0200
>
> "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anno domini 2024 Wed, 29 May 08:30:20 +0200
> >
> >  Thierry de Coulon via tde-users scripsit:
> > >
> > > I always find this sort of declaration a little exagerated, and funnily
> > > no one ever seems to answer: "why?"
> >
> > Easiest scenario: Some programs use $USER to find their config file
> > location. You run that program as root. Now you have a problem that you
> > don't know about.
>
> I've never had an issue of that sort even once in ~20 years with KDE3 and
> TDE, and I invoke enough GUI programs through su sessions that if it were
> going to happen I would have expected to see it by now.  Root's
> configuration always saves under /root as intended, without polluting my
> regular user, and the software has no trouble figuring out which config to
> use.  And yet other people on this list do seem to have such issues, which
> leads me to believe it relates to something in the setup of
> Debian-descended distros.  Or it's specific to one or two pieces of TDE
> that I don't use.
>
> E. Liddell

	Yes.  I've never seen that problem on openSUSE, and since I started using it
(at version 6, IIRC), there has never been a restriction about using root in
a GUI or a non-root terminal session, or invoking e.g. YaST2 GUI from a
non-root session.  KDE (and TDE too) have the feature built into the menu
editor to designate that an application should be run by a different user; if
Run as a different user is checked and no Username is filled in, root is
assumed.  (See attached.)

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux