Re: Anyone have any experience with Kaffeine?

On Thursday 23 May 2024 02:34:22 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:

> IMO the last really good player for music was XMMS and XINE for video. Both
> have passed away (XMMS2 is a PITA, VLC is working when stripped to bare
> minimum). But it seams stretched to install a FreeBSD VM to use XMMS :)
>
> Kaffeinw works on my system (devuan ceres), but you might need to tweak the
> order of audio devices.
>
> Nik

There are still some legacy xmms packages that I discovered online, and
actually, that old xmms still works great.

I would be worried about security for online use. Also, as I recall, whenever
I tried to install new packages, I would be forced to uninstall xmms, then if
I wanted to keep using it, to reinstall with dpkg.

This seemed rather pointless, to go through that endless loop of installation
> uninstallation > reinstallation of the same packages, just to be able to
use a legacy media player. Besides, audacious, once I got used to it, and
customized to my own tastes, has worked very well.

However, if there happens to be anybody out there who wishes to try out the
old xmms again (just because), here are some links:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~knuta/xmms/
https://web.archive.org/web/20210429053638/http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~knuta/xmms/

https://visihow.com/Install_XMMS_on_Ubuntu_10.04
https://web.archive.org/web/20210411123226/https://visihow.com/Install_XMMS_on_Ubuntu_10.04

http://www.xmms.org/download.php
https://web.archive.org/web/20211124050240/http://www.xmms.org/download.php

Archived pages included, just in case of dead links.

Also, of course, xmms could be install from source packages, in which case, it
wouldn't get uninstalled by apt or aptitude.

Bill