Re: Anyone have any experience with Kaffeine?

On Thursday 23 May 2024 02:18:53 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> On 2024-05-22 23:44:56 dep via tde-users wrote:
> > It seems as if Kaffeine is abandonware, and there is little online about
> > it, so I am on my own unless someone here knows the application, or
> > another app that can stream live local TV via a tuner dongle.
> >
> > Does anyone?
> >
> > dep
>
> 	Kaffeine worked well for me since KDE3 days until sometime around the
> release of Trinity R14, when various parts became broken. Now it crashes
> immediately when I try to play anything with either the gstreamer or xine
> engines.  I'm not sure which of the multimedia players are actually
> supported in Trinity; there are nine others besides Kaffeine in the menu:
> Amarok
> Codeine
> Kaboodle
> KMPlayer
> KPlayer
> Noatune
> VLC
> TDEMid
> JuK
>
> 	I was very well used to Kaffein's controls; I find that VLC is more
> difficult to operate.  I have not tried many of the others, but I suppose I
> will have to explore them.
>
> Leslie

I believe that VLC would be your best shot for streaming live TV via a dongle.
I don't do it myself, but I have heard from others over the past few years.

For video players, once I found smplayer, I never used anything else. And
then, for unknown reasons, my sound stopped working with smplayer. I have
wasted hours and hours trying to get the sound to work again, dug out old
configuration files and previous installations from backups of old systems,
etc. ... but nothing works.

So I returned to VLC, which is reliable, though more difficult to use. Also,
the sound in VLC is tinny and shrill, and I cannot seem to make it better,
whereas in smplayer it was just right. I have custom EQ settings saved from
years past, but these don't seem to help.

In any case, it doesn't bother me too much any more. It would be nice to get
the sound working right on both VLC and smplayer, because I sometimes might
feel like watching, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to
get it to work.

Sound is fine with all my audio players.

Bill