Re: Anyone have any experience with Kaffeine?

Anno domini 2024 Thu, 23 May 04:18:53 -0500
 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users scripsit:
> On 2024-05-22 23:44:56 dep via tde-users wrote:
> > It seems as if Kaffeine is abandonware, and there is little online about
> > it, so I am on my own unless someone here knows the application, or another
> > app that can stream live local TV via a tuner dongle.
> >
> > Does anyone?
> >
> > dep
>
> 	Kaffeine worked well for me since KDE3 days until sometime around the release
> of Trinity R14, when various parts became broken. Now it crashes immediately
> when I try to play anything with either the gstreamer or xine engines.  I'm
> not sure which of the multimedia players are actually supported in Trinity;
> there are nine others besides Kaffeine in the menu:
> Amarok
> Codeine
> Kaboodle
> KMPlayer
> KPlayer
> Noatune
> VLC
> TDEMid
> JuK
>
> 	I was very well used to Kaffein's controls; I find that VLC is more difficult
> to operate.  I have not tried many of the others, but I suppose I will have
> to explore them.

IMO the last really good player for music was XMMS and XINE for video. Both have passed away (XMMS2 is a PITA, VLC is working when stripped to bare minimum). But it seams stretched to install a FreeBSD VM to use XMMS :)

Kaffeinw works on my system (devuan ceres), but you might need to tweak the order of audio devices.

Nik