Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On 2024-05-21 11:34:01 Darrell Anderson via tde-users wrote:
> On 5/21/24 1:56 AM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> > What really pisses me nowadays is that most applications using
> > QT5/QT6/GTK3 cannot handle HDPI displays at all. And the color presets -
> > even for dark mode - try to rebuild the user experience on shaby first
> > generation TFTs with 1:100 contrast ratio. Just a PITA to get these color
> > schemes to actually use good contrast. And the fonts ... who teaches
> > devopers to make pick the smallest, contrast-less fonts possible and
> > don't let the user escape that hell? Thin pastel fonts on gray backgroud,
> > really?
>
> I think this derives from a couple of places: 1) smart phones and
> tablets, and 2) developers using monitors bigger than most TVs. Either
> way developers lose any sense of proportion or usability.
>
> I have been complaining about small fonts for about 20 years, especially
> web sites. Now that I am old and grumpy, small fonts are poison for
> folks like me.
>
> Those developers with big monitors likely test only for big monitors and
> smart phones. Often they do not seem to test for anything in between
> such as laptops and modest home systems.
	Haven't you heard?  Nobody uses desktop systems anymore. :->  Thank goodness
TDE allows one to adjust the DPI to compensate for this.  It might be nice,
though, if it could look at the monitor characteristics and guess what a
useful setting could be.  My monitor is 30" 2560x1080 and 120DPI works well,
but the laptop is worse: 15" 1920x1080, and 120DPI is marginal at best.

> I struggle with this in the house network. TV is 37" 1920x1080, office
> desktop is 22" 1920x1080, laptop 1 is 15" 1920x1080, laptop 2 is 14"
> 1280x800. Testing systems include 19" 1680x1050, 21" 1600x900 monitor,
> 17" 1280x1024, and 15" 1024x768.
>
> Back in the day of 4:3 aspect ratios, there was not much choice and
> video cards were designed for that. Nowadays monitor sizes and
> resolutions are all over the place. I don't think developers and
> engineers have really caught up.

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux