Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

Anno domini 2024 Mon, 20 May 17:56:47 -0700
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> On Monday 20 May 2024 17:12:37 Chris M via tde-users wrote:
> > On Monday 20 May 2024 06:32:31 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
>

> > > TDE
> > > MATE <~~~~ NOPE, MATE SHOULD BE HERE. :D I LOVE MATE.

> > Chris
>
> Well, to me MATE is tolerable, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I love
> it. For me, there are only two for which I might use the L word, and that is
> KDE3.5 and TDE.

:) I'd add FVWM to this list. Not a DE but a programmable WM. Once upon a time when KDE3's future was not clear I remodeled most parts of KDE3 in fvwm - not the applications, but enough of the rest to keep a KDE feeling without KDE.

What really pisses me nowadays is that most applications using QT5/QT6/GTK3 cannot handle HDPI displays at all. And the color presets - even for dark mode - try to rebuild the user experience on shaby first generation TFTs with 1:100 contrast ratio. Just a PITA to get these color schemes to actually use good contrast. And the fonts ... who teaches devopers to make pick the smallest, contrast-less fonts possible and don't let the user escape that hell? Thin pastel fonts on gray backgroud, really?

Nik