Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On 2024-05-21 01:56:12 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Anno domini 2024 Mon, 20 May 17:56:47 -0700
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> > >---- -------------------------- Thanks,
> > > Chris
> >
> > Well, to me MATE is tolerable, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I
> > love it. For me, there are only two for which I might use the L word, and
> > that is KDE3.5 and TDE.
> >
> :) I'd add FVWM to this list. Not a DE but a programmable WM. Once upon a
> : time when KDE3's future was not clear I remodeled most parts of KDE3 in
> : fvwm - not the applications, but enough of the rest to keep a KDE feeling
> : without KDE.
>
> What really pisses me nowadays is that most applications using QT5/QT6/GTK3
> cannot handle HDPI displays at all. And the color presets - even for dark
> mode - try to rebuild the user experience on shaby first generation TFTs
> with 1:100 contrast ratio. Just a PITA to get these color schemes to
> actually use good contrast. And the fonts ... who teaches devopers to make
> pick the smallest, contrast-less fonts possible and don't let the user
> escape that hell? Thin pastel fonts on gray backgroud, really?
>
> Nik
>
> > Bill

	And why are default fonts always Sans-Serif?  (Not sure who started this, but
I suspect MacroShaft.)  I suppose it's more of the "dumb down the user
interface" nonsense that Gnome et al promulgated.*  There are too many easily
confused glyphs in Sans-Serif fonts.  Thank goodness that in the control
center I can set all of the non-monospace fonts at once!

Leslie

*	And while Gnome has done that, they and KDE4+ have gone to extremes to make
it difficult to configure their DEs by scattering settings all over the
place, and Mozilla seems to want to thwart their users' desire to make their
applications user-friendly by hiding most settings in about:config and
providing no documentation at all. :-(
--
Platform: Linux
Desktop Environment: Trinity