Re: kmail and keyboard

On 5/20/24 12:42, dep via tde-users wrote:
hi, everybody . . .

first, the discussion of kmail passwords has puzzled me a little. for
*decades* i've set up kmail to store my password, and have not been
prompted about it since. i vaguely remember being prompted for kwallet at
one time or another, usually when logging in to Proton VPN, but that's not
happened in a long time, either. in that i've had the same configuration
for years, i can't remember what i did to bring this about.

what i have encountered instead is another issue that might be kmail or it
might be something else. it is sufficiently strange that it might be of
interest, so i'll describe it.

i use ProtonMail. i hate webmail, so am happy that there is an application,
ProtonMail Bridge, that does the heavy lifting as to login, encryption,
and so on. it logs into the server, and kmail logs into it. kmail goes to
127.0.0.1 for the mail. the bridge application goes out and uses the
mile-long ProtonMail password to log in to the server. the bridge is
supported for thunderbird and a couple of other mail clients of which
kmail is not one, but the setup is pretty straightforward except for one
thing.

frequently -- not always, but often -- my kmail inbox gets not just the
mail but phantom copies of it. in the same mail run it might get 20
messages with six of them seemingly doubled. one of the two is the email
message, no problem, while the other one is blank. the blank one has
peculiar aspects. for one thing, i can't delete it in the normal way. i
delete it, but it doesn't go away. instead, it has a line struck through
it in the message list. when i restart kmail later, it is now gone. if i
haven't deleted it, it is still there.

probably unrelated, every so often, maybe once a month, a mail check will
cause an eruption of mail going back a couple months, and i get old mail
all over again.

as i said, this is probably not kmail-caused. i mention it because maybe
someone here will say, "hey! i know what that is!" and mention something
i've missed. sadly, for all its goodness Proton is happy to cling to
the "that client is unsupported" excuse.

another oddity involves my keyboard, which i like very much -- nice and
loud -- but it is a USB keyboard. it behaves strangely: it works just
fine, as now, but then after a few days it doesn't seem to register some
keys and endlessly repeats others. but i don't think it's the keyboard, in
that rebooting fixes it 100 percent of the time, for a few more days.

any guesses?
memtest86?
Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)