Re: origin of kdesktop ...

On 5/17/24 6:28 AM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
Does anybody remember why KDE introduced the "kdesktop" window and did not use the X11 root windows for it's job? I just noticed that this "kdesktop" is (again) on front of the conky window and I was unpleasently remembered of that strange decision from ages ago.

I found this reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDesktop.

This page does not offer much info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Desktop_Environment_3.

Nor does this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Desktop_Environment_2

There are some feature plans here (look at the bottom of the page): https://community.kde.org/Schedules

There is a basic KDE timeline: https://timeline.kde.org/. Yet so many links now seem lost.

I am vague about what you seek, but I have a Slackware 12.2 VM with KDE 3.5.10. There is a process running 'kdesktop [kdeinit]'. The /usr/bin/startkde shell script contains a line 'kwrapper kdesktop_lock --forcelock &'. There is a binary /usr/bin/kdesktop but no man page or handbook page. The 'kdesktop --help' output is the usual useless generic info except for the '--x-root' option that is explained as 'Use this if the desktop window appears as a real window'. The files are part of the kdebase package.

I have a 2000(?) Lycoris CD (Redmond Linux) that had KDE 2, a Mandrake 9.0 CD set that came with KDE 3.0, a Vector Linux 3.2 that came with KDE 3.1, and a Knoppix 3.4 CD that came with KDE 3.2. Possibly those CDs might provide clues if I find time to tinker. Might help if I knew better what you seek.

With respect to conky, on my systems I use 'own_window_type=dock' because this works best with KDE 5 and seems to have no ill effects with TDE. This is a quirk with KDE because conky always grabs top focus and blocks everything until selecting all of the other windows. Thereafter conky remains below all other windows. This never happened with TDE, Xfce, MATE, etc. Something quirky with the KDE window manager.

While the TDE team introduces user's to the latest change log on first launch, I don't remember the KDE folks doing anything like that. I seem to remember there was some kind of change log within the KDE packages, but my memory fails me right now.

Might be interesting to write a KDE/TDE history of notable changes. My cursory searching found sufficient information that a robust history probably could be written.