Re: TDE R14.1.2 released, new target started… [OT] RESOLVED!

On Monday 06 May 2024 22:01:53 Thierry de Coulon via tde-users wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2024 05.20:58 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > Well, I believe now that I will probably never use Mastodon or anything
> > like it, if I must log in regularly and use my account regularly.
> >
> > I don't go anywhere that attendance is required.
>
> I had set up a Mastodon account too at the time it was mentionned on the
> tde list - I'll have to look, I guess I have been suspended too, as I
> hardly ever looked there since.
>
> I never use a phone to get messages, I stop all "notifications" either on
> my computers or my phones and just like you I can't stand attendance or
> update requirements. I go llok for information when and where I need.
>
> Looking at the world around me, I sometimes wonder if I might be an
> alien...

If we refuse to be sheep, to be conforming compliant consumers of whatever is
put before us, then we must be aliens. If one is old enough to remember what
was before the home computer and internet, then indeed it does feel like I
have been transported into some alien place, where everything looks pretty
much the same as I remember, but beneath the surface everything has changed.

But I don't think that the people who envision and start these tech companies
regard themselves like that. I know that many of them lived on ramen noodles
and slept on the floor in tiny apartments, or that they lived all together
with their developers, until they found investors or ... what's the term? ...
venture capital.

The problem is, with success, one must keep growing, bigger and bigger;
otherwise, people are going to be out of work. But with that growth comes the
problems of organizations that grow beyond what is useful and necessary to
their community of users, and they who control these corporations feel less
inclination to respond to actual people.

What does Cory Doctorow call it? the enshittification of the internet, or of
tech?

Bill