Re: kmail templates

On 2024-05-06 11:22:13 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Sunday 05 May 2024 00:33:39 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> > :
> > Leslie
> > --
> > %INCLUDE="/usr/local/etc/SystemID/SystemID-Desktop.txt"
>
> It occurred to me that a feature request for Kmail to "reply to sender
> using custom template" might be good. The reason is that, like probably
> most of us, when I click to hit reply, my "Reply to" address always,
> all the other fields properly filled in, when I hit reply (even if, on both
> ends, sender and receiver are using that template, I still end up sending
> out my personal email as "Reply to"; so that when the person on the other
> end replies, then I get two emails, one sent to the mailing list, the other
> sent to my own email.
>
> This snag rather defeats the idea of using templates, and even more messes
> up the whole concept of a common mailing list address that we all share.
>
> So I am forking off this thread specially for kmail templates & feature
> requests. There are one or two other minor tweaks that I have in mind. This
> seemed like the right time to bring it up.
>
> Bill

	There are a lot of things to think about here.

	There are a number of unintended effects to use of these templates, that
hopefully can be fixed.  Notice in the chain of quoted messages above
the %INCLUDE="..." line (which I forgot to replace), which in theory should
include a file into the email, but is broken.  When I had originally started
fiddling with templates, this seemed like a good way to post my software
environment at the end ot a message, but in practice I have to use Message =>
Insert File [Recent] because the template directive doesn't work.  Ideally,
this could be used from the Folder List context menu so that it could be
customized e.g. for different mailing lists, but those templates don't allow
one to preset the To: field address, which is exactly where one would want to
do that.

	Also, when using the File => New Message from Template, the templates are
identified by their Subject field content, so one has to erase that when
creating an email (trivial, but irritating).  It would be much better if the
Folder-specific templates allowed setting the header fields and had
independent names, and provided the new/reply/reply-to-list/forward template
choices provided by Settings => Templates|Custom Templates and Folder =>
Properties => Templates tab.

	Then there are a few goodies I've missed from other mail agents, that would
be nice to have.  Amiga's YAD (Yet Another Mailer) had shortcuts in the mail
viewing window that allowed one to step up and down through the emails in a
folder, closing one and opening the next/previous one.  Kmail has Focus on
Next/Previous Folder/Message, but only in the main window; not too useful
IMO.  There are probably others that will come to mind...

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux
Desktop Environment: Trinity