Re: tde-14.1.2 and gnome3 on debian/12.5/bookworm - package conflicts

On Fri, 03 May 2024 20:45:52 -0000
"trinitydesktop.9dio1--- via tde-users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I really want help on here:  If I decide to autoremove the packages
> that arose from installing gnome ("arts-trinity imlib-base imlib11
> kig-trinity kuickshow-trinity libarts1-audiofile-trinity
> libarts1-mpeglib-trinity libtqt3-integration-trinity mpeglib-trinity
> synaptic-trinity tde-core-trinity tdebase-trinity tdeedu-trinity
> tdegraphics-trinity tdemultimedia-trinity xcalib").  If I remove these
> packages that are "no longer used", will it break my tde installation.

Yes it will. You dont understand what "no longer used" means in this
context. It means that this packages were autoinstalled by dependencies, but
there is currently nothing that depends on them because you uninstalled
trinity metapackages. You need to mark them as manually installed to stop
apt from suggesting to remove them.

> I am pretty sure if I reinstall "desktop-base-trinity" and "tde-trinity",
> I will no longer be able to run the gnome desktop.

All of them are metapackages, your dont need them to run either trinity or
gnome

> Forget about the 3rd-party commercial software.  Let's just concentrate
> on having tde and gnome both as optional desktops from tdm.
>
> 1. Should I be able to do this with clean install ?

No idea, you didnt post what actual packages caused a conflict.

> 2. If so, is it safe to remove the excess trinity packages ?

No, as i said above, they are not "excess".

> 3.  If not, and I bring back tde to the full install state, is there a
> better way to install gnome without any issues ?

You have both of them installed and working already.

--
  Nick Koretsky (nick.koretsky@xxxxxxxxx)