Re: how to kill zombies - resolved

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 03:39:33PM -0700, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> As for that other zombie, the one generated when I start up tderandrtray: that
> bothers me more, as its behavior makes no sense. When I quit or kill
> tderandrtray, the zombie vanishes; when I start it up again, the zombie is
> back.

That makes perfect sense.

A zombie is a process which has ended but remains in the OS's process
table. A zombie is not running, it does not use any CPU resources, only
a negligible amount of memory, and an entry in the process table.

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/clean-zombie-process

By default, most Linux systems have at least 32768 evailable slots in
the process table, so even in a rather busy system with thousands of
running processes, one or two zombies are unlikely to fill the table up.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/586723/process-table-limit

Your observations suggest that there is a (hypothetical) bug in
tderandrtray:

- it launches a subprocess, which does its job and then either dies or
  completes normally;

- but tderandrtray fails to call wait on the subprocess;

- which is how you get zombies.

Killing the parent, tderandrtray, should allow the OS to remove the
zombie, which is exactly what you are seeing.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74028/is-a-persistent-zombie-process-sign-of-a-bug

--
Steven