Re: how to kill zombies

On Tuesday 23 April 2024 13:53:58 deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
>
> you find a zombie with ps auxwww | grep 'Z'
> and it is usually <defunct>
>
> A process in Linux can have one of the following states:
>
>     D = uninterruptible sleep
>     I = idle
>     R = running
>     S = sleeping
>     T = stopped by job control signal
>     t = stopped by debugger during trace
>     Z = zombie
>
> look here https://itsfoss.com/kill-zombie-process-linux/
>
> $ ps auxwww | grep 'Z'
> USER         PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> emanoil   719868  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    20:22   0:00
> [firefox-bin] <defunct>
> emanoil   732279  0.0  0.0   6332  2192 pts/3    S+   22:49   0:00 grep Z

Yes, thank you. I have searched online for how to get rid of zombies, but
there is no simple or quick way of killing all processes with that status of
Z or <defunct>. I must go through my processes, find them individually, find
their parent processes, and so on.

It seems to me that if a system can identify processes with that status, then
it should be possible to create a command that can find and kill all
processes listed with the status of Z or <defunct>. Why this cannot be, I
don't know, but at present the only way I know to kill zombies is
one-at-a-time.

The problem here is time. I don't have time to do this, and it does not seem
to be causing any harm to my system.

I don't like to see zombies, especially not when they pile up to dozens of
them, but it is more of an aesthetic annoyance rather than an urgent problem.

Maybe over this weekend I can do some zombie hunting. I do think that it would
be useful to know if it is, for example, the cause is the same process or
processes. It is possible that I am doing something that results in these
processes leaving zombies behind.

Bill