Re: how to kill zombies

On Tuesday 23 April 2024 10:30:47 you wrote:

> > On one occasion, when I tried to kill dozens of zombie entries marked
> > only w,
>
> What marked these 'w' ?  My `ps' man page says there is no such status.
> There was 'W' in the 2.6 kernel series, but I assume your system isn't that
> archaic.  (Or is it?)

Hi Jim!

My machine is fairly new, only a couple years old, and I am running Devuan
Daedalus, upgraded within the last month.

Here are some snips from top. I am only showing lines that relate to zombies
or those mysterious processes with the label w. (For security reasons, I
prefer not to show everything all at once about my system; such as, e.g., my
user name.)

Please see attachments.

As you can see, I only have one zombie at present -- didn't try to track down
what processes are involved -- but at times there have been as many as
dozens. They seem to come in dozens or half-dozens, by the way, for reasons
unknown to me: above a certain number, they always seem to come in multiples
of 6 or 12, like 24, 36, 42. When it gets to be a couple dozen zombies, this
irks me, and that's when I want to call in the zombie-killing experts.

No, I don't think it's "good" for so many zombies to persist after their
parents have quit running, but I also don't notice that my system runs any
worse. When I thought that I had identified one of my zombies as one of those
mysterious w processes, and tried to kill that, that's when I shut down my
session and lost my work; which, obviously, was worse that putting up with
zombies.

It seems to me that the mysterious w is not any one process, but rather a kind
of process that has become a zombie. Otherwise, there could not be, as
sometimes happens, half a dozen processes named w.

As for the age of my machine or system: the nature of Devuan in spirit is more
deliberately set against newfangled shiny toys, and tends to rely on the more
reliable stone tools used the hardcore caveman geeks.

Bill

P.S. Apologies if I sent some duplicate emails. For some reason, my response
to Jim, with attachments, did not go through. Please consider this one to be
the authorized version ... if it goes through.