Re: network issues - tdenetworkmanager - P.S.

Anno domini 2024 Sun, 21 Apr 12:52:26 -0700
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> [...]
>

> > > IMO auth is ok - if you really get an authentication dialog. I didn't get
> > > any and I had mst stuff set on "no". The problem with
> > > "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep-wake" is that ut's not clear what
> > > it does - and if there is any documentation to look it up I've not found
> > > it yet. For me it's totally baffeling how somebody with a sane mind would
> > > develop such a monstrosity. Most likly it's corporate stuff developed by
> > > managers and GNOMES ...
> > >
> > > Anyway, I have these after adding the mentioned file and networkmanager
> > > behavers "sane" - which translates to "does not get in my way":
> > >

> >Maybe I need to restart my machine? restart my session? restart
> >tdenetworkmanager? When I get a moment to try these steps ...
>
> In the interest of others in the future who may wish to know about these
> things, I have made the sacrifice, and rebooted my machine. And anyway, top
> was showing 24 zombies, so I thought I might as well.
>
> Now, I have already created that file for polkit,
> #/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/50-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.rules
> I made it readable for all users, just to be sure it would get noticed, if it
> were to have any effect. (By the way, there was nothing there; it was just an
> empty folder.) I followed Nik's prescription to the letter, I believe, then I
> ran that command; and again I get the same output, nothing changed.
>
> I don't think it was supposed to be an executable file, and doesn't look like
> a shell script, so I can only suppose that my machine behaves differently
> from Nik's, though I don't know why.
>
> Restarting network, session, and even rebooting the machine cause no c
>
> nmcli gen permissions
> PERMISSION                                                        VALUE
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.checkpoint-rollback                auth
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-connectivity-check  yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-network             yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-statistics          yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wifi                yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wimax               yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wwan                yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control                    yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.reload                             auth
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.global-dns         auth
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.hostname           auth
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.own                yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system             yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep-wake                         no
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.scan                          yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.open                    yes
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.protected               yes

Great :/ I'm on Devuan Ceres now and that has allmost all polkit configs removed --> a default rule that makes my user great again was needed. On excalibur and earlier there were rules with different effects buried in the depths of polkit configs --> you get interesting results like you see yourself. It might help to grap through all the rules in search for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.

Nik

> By the way, anybody who has an idea how to kill off all zombies, I would be
> interested. Not that they're really doing anything bad, I guess, but
> sometimes I see 36 or 42 zombies, and it's annoying that they don't just go
> away by themselves. But that ought to be a separate thread! if I get around
> to it.

How do you kill the dead? Kill their master! But as they are not guaranteed to be stupid kind of undead that die when their master is gone your milage may vary. killing lord vlad might help, but real kombies don't care :)
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/clean-zombie-process

Nik