using nmtui or other tools to change hostname

Another thing I do from time to time is to change my host name, as I must
share a network with many other people. The administrators of this network
insist on using a ridiculously insecure password, which doubtless could be
cracked by a script kiddie in a few minutes; moreover, the password has never
been changed in at least 7 or 8 years. Myself and others have recommended
changing the password, but nothing happens.

After I did a little messing with that program that Nik suggested, nmtui, I
wondered what else I might use it to do. I like these stone tools; once one
has figured out the basics, then at least there is the possibility of
controlling the machine.

Even before I started this thread -- or the previous thread which spawned it,
regarding my network problems, or tdenetworkmanager -- I was wondering about
this problem of the hostname. Is there a way to change my hostname easily,
without reinstalling my system? This (nmtui) seems like the right tool for
the job; although of course, when running Linux, there are sure to be dozens
of others that do the same or similar.

These are probably stupid questions, and a thousand people out there can
answer it: but the man pages do not cover these possibilities.

I want to know, first, if one ought to disconnect from internet (or to
connect) when changing the hostname like this. It seems to me that trying to
change the hostname on a live connection may cause problems. On the other
hand, when I am doing a fresh installation, I must set the hostname on a live
connection, but then it is a new, unnamed connection.

Second, should I run nmtui (or similar tool) as root in order to change my
hostname? When I tried it out earlier, it seemed like it could do nothing
with my connection unless I was running as root; but then, before my fresh
installation, I could not use tdenetworkmanager, could not use internet at
all, except as root. Can I, in ordinary circumstances, change my hostname
without first becoming root?

After I change my host name (that is, after a fresh installation), I seem to
have no problems for a while. What I want is to be able to change the
hostname periodically, without doing a complete new installation.

Also, I block pings with my firewall, that kind of thing, but eventually these
problems start up again, because some people out there (or their automated
cracking scripts) apparently have nothing better to do than to search for
vulnerabilities in other people's machines.

All ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Bill