Re: network issues - tdenetworkmanager - semi-resolved

On Sat February 3 2024 09:11:37 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2024 16:52:01 Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
<snip>
> > Running tdenetworkmanager as root may have changed ownership of some
> > crucial file that your regular user account was unable to change back.
> >
> > --Mike
>
> Hi, Mike!
>
> But these issues started before I did that. It was only because I could no
> longer use my network at all, for anything: then I tried running
> tdenetworkmanager as root, and suddenly I was able to use the internet
> normally again.
>
> Before that, my reliable connectivity, so to speak, had been gradually
> getting worse, or was just spotty, but I was still blaming it on the
> flooding in our building, and internet going out.
>
> Now it's more or less back, and (after a fresh reinstallation, and changing
> my hostname) I am running tdenetworkmanager as my ordinary user self, not
> with godlike superuser powers, and everything is fine. The thing is, I
> would like it to stay that way, and in future to avoid those problems
> cropping up again.
>
> Either there is something that I am doing (that I ought not to do, or which
> is "irregular" in some oldthinker kind of way); or, if I am not messing up
> myself, then something out there must be doing it -- whether within the
> network, or somehow accessing our network, I can't tell.
>
> I went into the config files for tdenetworkmanager, made sure that all was
> right there. (And I always keep a backup of my trusted working
> configuration, somewhere that it is safe and cannot be touched.)

Hi Bill,

If it happens again see what you can get from command line tools and log
files but try to avoid running tdenetworkmanager as root.

But the reality is we may never know what was causing the earlier network
problem.  Maybe your quantums got entangled, or unentangled.

--Mike